Choose A Department

Awards & Recognitions

View More Awards >>

Request a Prayer / Pastoral Visit

Know someone at a CHSLI facility? Request a prayer for them or a personal pastoral visit. More >>

Government Insurance


Free or Low-Cost Government Health Insurance Programs

What is Family Health Plus?

Family Health Plus is a state funded health insurance program for adults between the ages of 19 and 64. Participants must not have health insurance and their incomes must be too high to qualify for Medicaid. Single adults, couples without children, and parents with limited income who are residents of New York State and are United States citizens or fall under one of many immigration categories may qualify for Family Health Plus. The premium for Family Health Plus varies depending on income, families can qualify for a no premium contribution or low cost premiums. Family Health Plus provides comprehensive coverage, including prevention, primary care, hospitalization, prescriptions and other services. There are minimal co-payments for some Family Health Plus services.

For more information on Family Health Plus NY visit the website at or call 1-877-9FHPLUS.

What is Child Health Plus?

New York State has a health insurance plan for kids, called Child Health Plus. Depending on your family’s income, your child may be eligible to join either Child Health Plus A (formerly Children’s Medicaid) or Child Health Plus B. Both Child Health Plus A and B are available through dozens of health plans throughout the state. To be eligible for either Child Health Plus A or B, children must be under the age of 19 and be residents of New York State.

Whether a child qualifies for Child Health Plus A or Child Health Plus B depends on gross family income. Children who are not eligible for Child Health Plus A can enroll in Child Health Plus B if they don’t already have health insurance and are not eligible for coverage under the public employees’ state health benefits plan.

For more information on Child Health Plus NY visit the website at or call 1-800-698-4KIDS.

What is Healthy New York?

Healthy NY is a unique program designed to encourage small employers with 50 or fewer employees to offer health insurance coverage to their employees, dependents, and other qualified individuals. Healthy NY is also available to eligible working uninsured individuals including sole proprietors. With this program, eligible individuals can purchase the streamlined benefits packages that are available to employees of small businesses participating in the Healthy NY small business insurance program. The program creates standardized health insurance benefit packages that are offered by all health maintenance organizations (HMOs) in New York State. These packages are made more affordable through State sponsorship, so that more uninsured small employers and uninsured employed individuals are able to purchase health insurance coverage.

For more information on Healthy NY visit the website at or call 1-866-HEALTHYNY.


BASIC* DOCUMENTATION NEEDED TO APPLY FOR Medicaid, Family Health Plus and Child Health Plus


You must show ONE of the documents listed in each category (if applicable) to see if you are eligible for health insurance. Discuss this with the person helping you with your application. ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS are needed for certain categories listed.

  1. Photo ID for all applying individuals age 19 and over (examples: driver’s license, library card, student ID card)
  2. Date of Birth for all applying individuals original passport, birth certificate, (examples: naturalization certificate, official hospital records, doctor birth records)
  3. Proof of residency/home addressmust be dated within 6 months of the applicationPO Boxes not accepted; (examples: postmarked envelope – no window envelopes) driver’s license issued within the past 6 months; utility bill (gas, cable, electric, home phone); correspondence from a government agency which contains date, name and street address
  4. Proof of Income (examples of various types of income):

        Wages and Salary

  • Paycheck stubs (4 consecutive weekly checks or 2 consecutive bi-weekly checks)
  •  Letter from employer on company letterhead, signed and dated with job title of person signing letter.

        Self Emplyment

  • Signed and dated income tax returns with all schedules, corresponding statements, and W-2 (personal and business taxes)
  •  3-month business financial record


  •  Copy of payment history downloaded from NYS Unemployment Website.
  • Monetary Determination letter (only accepted if you have not received unemployment yet)
        Social Security Income
  • Most recent award letter/certificate

        Worker's Compensation

  • Most recent award letter 
  • Most recent check stubs        

        Child Support/Alimony

  • Copy of payment history downloaded from Child Support Enforcement Website 
  • Letter listing the monthly amount of child support and the name(s) of the child(ren) signed and dated from the person providing the support
  • Most recent documentation from the court listing the child support amount (must be dated within the year of application)

         Income from Rent or Room/Board

  • Signed and dated letter from boarder, roomer or tenant with the monthly amount paid
  •  Copy of most recent check or check stub

        Monetary Support from Other Family Members

  • Signed and dated letter from family member stating the amount of money given each month


  • Most recent statement from bank, credit union or financial institution
  • Signed and dated letter from broker or agent 

        Private Pensions/Annuities

  • Most recent statement from pension annuity

        Veteran’s Benefits

  • Most recent award letter
  • Most recent check stubs
  • Correspondence from Veterans Administration


        Military Pay

  • Most recent award letter
  • Most recent check stubs


 5.  Proof of Resources - for applying individuals age 19 and over – (examples: most recent bank statements, cash value of life insurance policy, copies of stocks, bonds, securities)




6.   Immigration Status – if applicable – (examples: INS form I-551 (green card); INS form I-94; INS form I-220B; INS I-210 letter; INS form I-181; Other INS documentation, or correspondence to or from the INS, that shows that the alien is PRUCOL; that is, the alien is living in the U.S. with the knowledge and permission or acquiescence of the INS, and the INS does not contemplate enforcing the alien’s departure from the U.S.)


7.   Proof of Pregnancy – if applicable – (examples: Letter from health care provider with expected date of delivery)


8.   Proof of Previous Medical Bills – if applicable – (examples: copies of the unpaid bills from the health care provider)





Participating Insurance Plans
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Consumer Driven Health Care
Option for Small Businesses. Sole Proprietors, and Working Individuals
GSHMC Home Page



1000 Montauk Highway
West Islip, NY 11795

phone 631.376.4444

A Magnet® Designated Hospital